1.28.2010

[raiding the toy bin...]

beads1a
I find that fashion inspiration can come from just about anywhere...and at anytime. But I have to say, I didn't expect it to come from Little A's toy box. Today, while working on fine motor skills, I pulled out his lacing beads. I started to make patterns on one strand, and he did the same on another. After I was finished with mine, I thought "hey, I love these colors" and then, "hey, I might actually wear this". So I put it on and what do you know, I loved it, and wore it for the rest of the day.
beads2
Who knew my craving for chunky, geometric necklaces could be satiated just by raiding my sons educational toys?! I'm not sure if it will be obvious while walking through the grocery store that I'm wearing toys around my neck but I think I'm OK with it either way. Little A sort of wanted his beads back (I might have to purchase another set for myself!) but Baby O was all about it. Talk about a necklace that you are finally OK with letting your one year old play with!

14 comments:

  1. makes me want to go to our local thrift shop and browse the old toys to see what I can "fashion" up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is awesome! thanks for sharing! i'm so inspired to make something similar now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha ha! I have thought about this before.
    Love the look! The colors are fantastic!

    loving your blog:)
    happy Weekend
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWESOME!!! This necklace is fantastic -you never cease to inspire.

    ReplyDelete
  5. they do look fabulous! i love the colours - especially the orange against the royal blue. fashion is all about having fun and feeling good - and how can you not feel good when you're wearing those around your neck?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That harkens me back to when I was a little girl and made my own chunky block necklaces...so fancy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the necklac and your haircut!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is fabulous! I love it. Do you mind my asking - where are your glasses from? I'm looking for a new pair and I love yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Philomena - I purchased my glasses from Eyeglass World. I'm not sure what brand they are but they are black with zebra print on the inside. Hopefully they are still carrying them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i made something similar last year when we were working on my son's fine motor skills. i think i had more fun than graham did. we also made some neato necklaces with cut straws (the stripey kind). so fun to make unexpected things out of ordinary objects. keep up all the great projects!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that's inspiration! You know, I can see something like this on a gussied up fashion model in some fashion forward mag. I love it!

    Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I LOVE your illustrations. I hope to commission a custom couples portrait for my wedding in the distant future. I featured one of them on my blog: http://www.westervin.com/blog/2010/02/16/the-shopping-sherpa-an-etsy-wedding/

    It's a post regarding my early wedding plans :)

    Best,

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete